News and updates

Traveling with children – do you need a travel consent form?

The desire to get away from it all at this time of year burns bright for many of us and it's important to be prepared. Any parents travelling overseas with their child but without the other parent may well need to obtain the written consent from the absent parent and have this process carried out before a notary public. This is often required by the country to which the child will be travelling before they will allow them to enter or leave. This should be done in good time before leaving the UK - our notarial team has experience of parents being in tears when a consent to travel has not been prepared (because neither parent was aware of the need for this) and consequently missing flights to family weddings and functions or being prevented from returning to the UK.
Recently, our notarial team has been asked to prepare and notarise consents to travel in the following circumstances:

In such circumstances, immigration authorities can become concerned if they believe that the child may be being taken somewhere without one or both parents’ knowledge and consent. They may therefore detain the travelling party at the airport pending clarification which can obviously be hugely frustrating and stressful for all concerned. We have on occasion been contacted to arrange an expedited consent to travel from an absent parent, who we then must see urgently and prepare the required documentation before sending it overseas. However, this process can take time particularly if, as required by some countries, the document needs to be consularised by the UK Embassy of the relevant country as well. We therefore recommend that parents check with the relevant Embassy before travelling to see if a consent to travel may be required. It is widely required in South Africa, Portugal, Thailand, Australia and Russia. However, with increasing concerns about issues such as child abduction and people trafficking following recent high-profile cases, it is likely that the countries expecting to see this type of documentation will expand moving forward. We are very much aware that often it can be difficult to get a definitive response to this question from an Embassy and if in doubt we would always recommend obtaining a consent to travel to avoid any ambiguity.

BEN2 Forms – Is your business setting up an office in Ireland?

I have seen several clients recently requiring help to set up businesses in Ireland. One of the main reasons for them coming to see me is the need to notarise a Form BEN2. This document is a declaration as to the verification of the identity of the person making the declaration. This person is usually the beneficial owner in an Irish company. If the beneficial owner does not have an Irish Personal Public Service Number (PPSN), they must apply for an RBO Transaction Number, by means of completing and signing a Form BEN2. The BEN2 contains the name, date of birth, nationality and address of the beneficial owner. The beneficial owner must solemnly declare this information to be correct and true and have this Declaration verified, witnessed and signed by a Notary Public. If you need to notarise a Form BEN2 or would like to discuss the notarial requirements for setting your business up in Ireland, then feel free to get in touch!

Introducing our German notarial specialism!

Anyone who has needed to get documents notarised for use in Germany will have noticed that the country has very specific requirements when it comes to the documents that they will or won’t accept. Fear not however as our international notarial team now includes fluency in German and we can now assist with translations and the preparation of documents in German. We also have great connections to local notaries and lawyers in Germany in case this is also required. We have recently been dealing with a variety of matters ranging from German corporate law (such as changes to the branch office address or the registration of directors) all the way through to inheritance law (requesting a certificate of inheritance from a German court). Get in touch today if this is something that we can help you with.

Our Offices

Apex Plaza
Forbury Road

Phone: +44 (0)118 959 6839

London (City)
One Crown Court

Phone: +44 (0)20 7329 9090

London (Mayfair)
Berger House
36-38 Berkeley Square

Phone: +44 (0)20 3696 7171

London (Canary Wharf)
Level 10
One Canada Square
E14 5AA

Phone: +44 (0)20 7042 7200

The Bower
Four Roundwood Avenue
Stockley Park
UB11 1AF

Phone: +44 (0)20 3923 5000

sukhpal matharoo Linkedinsukhpal matharoo Google plussukhpal matharoo Twitter